Limbal Mass as a Presentation of Parotid Gland Undifferentiated Carcinoma: A Case Report
AbstractMetastatic neoplasms to the ocular surface are extremely rare. Here, we describe a case of A 56-year-old man developed simultaneously a limbal and parotid gland masses in his left side. He underwent excisional biopsy of limbal mass, parotidectomy, and systemic evaluation. Histopathologically, multislice sections of both limbal and parotidal masses disclosed an undifferentiated carcinoma of both sites. Further evaluation revealed no other site of involvement and metastasis. The patient underwent systemic chemotherapy and local radiotherapy for parotid gland tumor. Distal metastasis from undifferentiated carcinoma of the parotid gland to ocular surface is very rare and to the best of our knowledge has not been previously reported. This is the first report of the manifestation of metastasis from undifferentiated carcinoma of parotid gland origin to the limbus. The limbal mass may be the initial manifestation of metastasis from this origin and should be considered in the differential diagnosis of a metastatic limbal tumor.
- H. Kiratli, C. L. Shields, J. A. Shields, etal. Metastatic tumors to the conjunctiva: report of a 10 cases. British Journal of Ophthalmology, 1996; 80:5-8.
-Kreusel KM, Wiegel T, Stange M, Bornfeld N, Foerster MH. Intraocular metastases of metastatic breast carcinoma in the woman. Incidence, risk factors and therapy. Ophthalmologe, 2000;97:342–346.
- R. Chew, J. Potter, and A. Dimattina. Conjunctival metastasis as the presenting sign for stage IV lung cancer. Optometry and Vision Science, 2014; 91;38–42.
-Andrew Chung, Hardeep Singh Mudhar. Conjunctival Metastasis from Pleural Mesothelioma. Ocul Oncol Pathol, 2015;1:19–23.
- Sheen TS, Tsai CC, Chang YL, Hsu MW. Undifferentiated carcinoma of the major salivary glands. Cancer, 1997;80:357-/63.
- Ejaz A, Wenig BM. Sinonasal undifferentiated carcinoma, clinical and pathologic features and a discussion on classification, cellular differentiation, and differential diagnosis. Adv Anat Pathol 2005, 12(3):134–143.
- Rajshri Yadav, Azhar J. Battoo, Abdul W. Mir and Altaf G. Haji Bulbar conjunctival metastasis from mucoepidermoid carcinoma of parotid—a case report and review of literature. World Journal of Surgical Oncology, 2017 ;15:10
-Bellizzi AM, Bourne TD, Mills SE, Stelow EB. The cytologic features of sinonasal undifferentiated carcinoma and olfactory neuroblastoma. Am J Clin Pathol 2008, 129(3): 367–376.
-Chihiro Hatta, Tomoaki Terada , Jun Okita , et al. Clinicopathological study of undifferentiated carcinoma of the parotid gland. Auris Nasus Larynx, 2003; 273-/277.