The Effect of Silicon Dioxide on Knee Osteoarthritis: A Randomized Clinical Trial
Osteoarthritis (OA) is the most common type of arthritis and although there is no definitive cure for it, there are treatments for symptom management. The present study was conducted to evaluate the effects of silicon dioxide (SiO2) on clinical symptoms of knee OA and compare it with avocado soybean unsaponifiable (ASU) and placebo. This study is a double-blind randomized clinical trial on 104 patients with knee OA referred to Rheumatology Clinic, Rasoul Akram Hospital, Tehran. Patients were randomly divided into three groups, including patients treated with ASU, SiO2, and placebo for 3 months. Subsequent referral was performed at weeks 4, 8, and 12, and the stiffness, physical function, and pain scores were recorded based on the WOMAC questionnaire. In this study, the effect of treatment of placebo and SiO2 and ASU in patients with knee OA based on WOMAC questionnaire showed a significant reduction in terms of pain, joint stiffness, physical function, and total scores of WOMAC in the cases of the SiO2 group compared with the other two groups. The findings of this study showed that the therapeutic effects of SiO2 in patients with knee OA in terms of pain and stiffness and physical function scores were more than the ASU and placebo groups.
2. Firestein G, Budd R,GabrielS, Mdnnes I, O dell J, et al.Kelley&Firestein s Text book of Rheumatology. Tenth edition.2017:1705-1715.
3. Losina E, Weinstein AM, Reichmann WM, Burbine SA, Solomon DH, Daigle ME,et al. Lifetime risk and age at diagnosis of symptomatic knee osteoarthritis in the US. Arthritis Care Res. 2013; 65:703–11.
4. Thysen S, Luyten FP, Lories RJ. Targets, models and challenges in osteoarthritis research. Dis Model Mech. 2015; 8:17–30.
5. Pavelka K1, Coste P, Géher P, Krejci G. Efficacy and safety of piascledine 300 versus chondroitin sulfate in a 6 month treatment plus 2 months observation in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee. 2010 Jun;29(6):659-70.
6. D.M. Reffitt, N. Ogston, R. Jugdaohsingh, H.F.J. Cheung,et al . Orthosilicic acid stimulates collagen type 1 synthesis and osteoblastic differentiation in human osteoblast-like cells in vitro. Bone 32 (2003) 127–135.
7. Jugdaohsingh R, Tucker KL, Qiao N, Cupples LA, Kiel DP, Powell JJ. Dietary silicon intake is positively associated with bone mineral density in men and premenopausal women of the Framingham Offspring cohort. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research. 2004; 19(2):297-307.
8. Macdonald HM, Hardcastle AC, Jugdaohsingh R, Fraser WD, Reid DM, Powell JJ. Dietary silicon interacts with estrogen to influence bone health: evidence from the Aberdeen Prospective Osteoporosis Screening Study. Bone.2012;50(3):681-7.
9. Geusens P, Pavelka K, Rovensky J, et al. A 12-week randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled multicenter study of choline-stabilized orthosilicic acid in patients with symptomatic knee osteoarthritis. Geusens et al. BMC musculoskeletal Disorders 2017: 18:2 DOI 10.1186/s12891-016-1370-7.
10. Jamshidi A. The final report of clinical trial in analysis of Osvalin® effectiveness in improvement of symptoms among patients with osteoarthritis of knee. Rheumatology Researches Center- Dr. Shariati Hospital.2015.
11. Altman R, Asch E, Bloch D, Bole G, Borenstein D, Brandt K, et al. Development of criteria for the classification and reporting of osteoarthritis. Classification of osteoarthritis of the knee. Diagnostic and Therapeutic Criteria Committee of the American Rheumatism Association. Arthritis Rheum. 1986; 29:1039–49.
12. Kellgren JH, Lawrence JS. Radiological assessment of osteoarthrosis. Ann Rheum Dis. 1957; 16:494–502. doi: 10.1136/ard.16.4.494.
13. Ebrahimzadeh MH, Makhmalbaf H, Birjandinejad A, Keshtan FG, Hoseini HA, Mazloumi SM. The Western Ontario and McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis Index (WOMAC) in Persian Speaking Patients with Knee Osteoarthritis. Arch Bone Jt Surg. 2014 Mar; 2(1):57-62. Epub 2014 Mar 15.
14. Carlisle E, editor A. relationship between silicon and calcium in bone formation. Federation Proceedings; 1970: federation amer soc exp biol 96 50rockville pike, bethesda, MD 20814-3998.
15. Carlisle EM. Silicon: a possible factor in bone calcification. Science. 1970; 167(3916):279-80.
16. Hott M, de Pollak C, Modrowski D, Marie PJ. Short-term effects of organic silicon on Trabecular bone in mature ovariectomized rats. Calcified tissue international. 1993;53(3):174-9.
17. Eisinger J, Clairet D. Effects of silicon, fluoride, etidronate and magnesium on bone mineral density: a retrospective study. Magnes Res. 1993 Sep; 6(3):247-9.
18. Musik I, Kurzepa J,Luchowska-Kocot D. Correlations among plasma silicon, magnesium and calcium in patients with knee osteoarthritis Annals of Agricultural and Environmental Medicine 2019, Vol 26, No 1, 97–102.
19. Felson DT, Naimark A, Anderson J, Kazis L, Castelli W, Meenan RF. The prevalence of knee osteoarthritis in the elderly. The Framingham Osteoarthritis Study. Arthritis Rheum. 1987; 30:914–918. doi: 10.1002/art.1780300811.
20. Conley S, Rosenberg A, Crowninshield R. The female knee: anatomic variations. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2007;15: S31–S36.
21. Dieppe P, Cushnaghan J, Hepstone L. The Bristol 'OA500' Study: progression of osteoarthritis (OA) over 3 years and the relationship between clinical and radiographic changes at the knee joint. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage (1997) 5, 87-97.
22. Zhang W, Robertson J, Jones AC, Dieppe PA, Doherty M .The placebo effect and its determinants in osteoarthritis: meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Ann Rheum Dis. 2008 Dec; 67(12):1716-23. doi: 10.1136/ard.2008.092015. Epub 2008 Jun 9.
23. Thumboo J, Chew LH, Lewin-Koh SC. Socioeconomic and psychosocial factors influence pain or physical function in Asian patients with knee or hip osteoarthritis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2002 Nov;61(11):1017-20.
24. Summers MN,Haley WE, Reveille JD, Alarcon GS. Radiographic assessment and psychologic variables as predictors of pain and functional impairment in osteoarthritis of the knee or hip. Arthritis Rheum 1988; 31:204-9.
25. Stewart A, Black A J. Bone mineral density in osteoarthritis. Current opinion in Rheumatology. 2000 Sep;12(5):464-7.
|Issue||Vol 61 No 6 (2023)|
|Knee osteoarthritis Silicon dioxide Avocado soybean unsaponifiable WOMAC|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|