Hearing Status in Neonatal Hyperbilirubinemia by Auditory Brain Stem Evoked Response and Transient Evoked Otoacoustic Emission
Hyperbilirubinemia at neonatal period is one of the major deteriorating factors of the auditory system. If left untreated, it may cause certain cerebral damage. This study aims to evaluate the impact of hyperbilirubinemia on the hearing of neonate. This study was conducted on 35 newborn babies with jaundice (bilirubin more than 20 mg/dL). Auditory brainstem response (ABR) and transient evoked otoacoustic emission (TEOAE) tests were performed, after treatment and one year after. ABR test results indicated that 26 children (74.3%) had normal hearing but 9 (25.7%) suffered from an impairment. As for TEOAE test, 30 children (85.7%) passed whereas the remaining (14.3%) seemed to be failures. The comparative results of the two tests pointed to autonomic neuropathy /autonomic dysreflexia symptoms in 5 babies. Due to the high incidence of Autonomic neuropathy/autonomic dysreflexia among hyperbilirubinemic babies, screening in this regard seems reasonable. Our result emphasizes the necessity of more experiments on the afflicted areas.
Luo RZ, Wen RJ, Huang ZY, Zhou JL, Wang XY, Chen Q. Audiological characteristics and localization of lesions in children with retrocochlear auditory nerve impairment. Zhonghua Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi 2008;43(5):336-40.
Hood LJ, Berlin CI, Bordelon J, Rose K. Patients with auditory neuropathy/dys-synchrony lack efferent suppression of transient evoked otoacoustic emissions. J Am Acad Audiol 2003;14(6):302-13.
Rance G. Auditory neuropathy/dys-synchrony and its perceptual consequences. Trends Amplif 2005;9(1):1-43.
Hayes D. Universal screening for infant hearing impairment. Pediatrics 1994;94(6 Pt 1):954-5; author reply 959-63.
Sheykholeslami K, Kaga K. Otoacoustic emissions and auditory brainstem responses after neonatal hyperbilirubinemia. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2000;52(1):65-73.
Smitherman H, Stark AR, Bhutani VK. Early recognition of neonatal hyperbilirubinemia and its emergent management. Semin Fetal Neonatal Med 2006;11(3):214-24.
Colletti JE, Kothari S, Jackson DM, Kilgore KP, Barringer K. An emergency medicine approach to neonatal hyperbilirubinemia. Emerg Med Clin North Am 2007;25(4):1117-35, vii. Review. Erratum in: Emerg Med Clin North Am 2008;26(1):xi. Kothori, Samip [corrected to Kothari, Samip].
Hansen TW. Kernicterus: an international perspective. Semin Neonatol 2002;7(2):103-9.
Smith CM, Barnes GP, Jacobson CA, Oelberg DG. Auditory brainstem response detects early bilirubin neurotoxicity at low indirect bilirubin values. J Perinatol 2004;24(11):730-2.
Rhee CK, Park HM, Jang YJ. Audiologic evaluation of neonates with severe hyperbilirubinemia using transiently evoked otoacoustic emissions and auditory brainstem responses. Laryngoscope 1999;109(12):2005-8.
Sabatino G, Verrotti A, Ramenghi LA, Domizio S, Melchionda D, Fulgente T, Paci C, Andreamatteo GD, Thomas A, Onofrj M. Newborns with hyperbilirubinemia: usefulness of brainstem auditory response evaluation. Neurophysiol Clin 1996;26(6):363-8.
Agrawal VK, Shukla R, Misra PK, Kapoor RK, Malik GK. Brainstem auditory evoked response in newborns with hyperbilirubinemia. Indian Pediatr 1998;35(6):513-8.
Funato M, Teraoka S, Tamai H, Shimida S. Follow-up study of auditory brainstem responses in hyperbilirubinemic newborns treated with exchange transfusion. Acta Paediatr Jpn 1996;38(1):17-21.
Clarós P, Turcanu D, Caballero M, Costa C, Clavería MA, Clarós A Jr, Clarós A. Sensorineural hearing loss due to neonatal hyperbilirubinemia. Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp 2003;54(6):393-8.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.