Idiopathic Lumbar Epidural Lipomatosis Mimicking Disc Herniation: A Case Report
Spinal epidural lipomatosis is a rare condition which is described as the accumulation of fat in the extradural territory and often causes dural impingement. Spinal epidural lipomatosis has been implicated in causing a variety of neurologic impairments ranging from back pain, radiculopathy, claudication, myelopathy or even cauda equina syndrome. We report a 46-year-old female with obesity and a history of chronic back pain and radiculopathy who developed idiopathic Spinal epidural lipomatosis diagnosed by magnetic resonance imaging. The purpose of this report is to present a case of spinal epidural lipomatosis presenting with symptomatic cord compression and also remind this rare condition as a the differential diagnosis of epidural lesions in patients with risk factors.
- Toshniwal PK, Glick RP. Spinal epidural lipomatosis: report of a case secondary to hypothyroidism and review of literature. J Neurol 1987;234:172–76.
- Fassett DR, Schmidt MH. Spinal epidural lipomatosis: a review of its causes and recommendations for treatment. Neurosurg Focus 2004;16.
- Sivakumar K, Sheinart K, Lidov M, Cohen B. Symptomatic spinal epidural Lipomatosis in a patient with Cushing’s disease. Neurology 1995;45:2281–83.
- Borre DG, Borre GE, Aude F, Palmieri GN. Lumbosacral epidural lipomatosis: MRI grading. Eur Radiol 2003;13:1709–21
- Lee M, Lekias J, Gubbay SS, Hurst PE. Spinal cord compression by extradural fat after renal transplantation. Med J Aust. 1975; 1:201-03.
- Kumar K, Nath RK, Nair CP, et al. Symptomatic epidural lipomatosis secondary to obesity. Case report. J Neurosurg 1996;85:348–50.
- Geers C, Lecouvert FE, Behets C, Malghem J, Cosnard G, Lengelé BG.. Polygonal Deformation of the Dural Sac in Lumbar Epidural Lipomatosis; Anatomic Explanation by the Presence of Meningovertebral Ligaments. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2003; 24:1276-82
- Butteriss D, Jayakrishnan V. Acute spinal cord compression. Br J Radiol. 2007;80:686-89.
- Quint D, Boulos R, Sanders W, Mehta BA, Patel SC, Tiel RL. Epidural lipomatosis. Radiology. 1988;169:485-90.
- Ishikawa Y, Shimada Y, Miyakoshi N. Decompression of idiopathic lumbar epidural lipomatosis: diagnostic magnetic reosonance imaging evaluation and review of the literature. J Neurosurg Spine 2006; 4:24-30.
- Payer M, Van Schaeybroeck P, Reverdin A, May D. Idiopathic symptomatic epidural lipomatosis of the lumbar spine. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 2003;145:315–20.
- Robertson SC, Traynelis VC, Follett KA, Menezes AH. Idiopathic spinal epidural lipomatosis. Neurosurgery 1997;41:68–74
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.