Gastrointestinal Manifestations in a Child With Mastocytosis
Mastocytosis is characterized by the accumulation of mast cells in different tissues either in the skin or extracutaneous organs. Herein, a 13-year-old girl is presented who suffered from intermittent abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea with erythematous, and papulous cutaneous lesion. She had a history of same lesions from the age of four years. Since 8 months ago, the patient presented with digestive complaints. The histopathological examination of the cutaneous lesions approved the diagnosis of mastocytosis. H1 and H2 antagonists were prescribed for her, while a mast cell stabilizer for digestive and cutaneous symptoms was also utilized, which improved the signs and symptoms of the patient.
2. Shields HM, Shaffer K, O’Farrell RP, Travers R, Hayward JN, Becker LS, et al. Gastrointestinal Manifestations of Dermatologic Disorders. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2007;5:1010-7.
3. Georgescu EF, Stănescu L, Georgescu CV, Georgescu I. Type Ib indolent mastocytosis with systemic involvement: cutaneous mastocytosis and gastrointestinal involvement at young girl. Rom J Morphol Embryol 2008;49:547-52.
4. Mickys U, Barakauskiene A, De Wolf-Peeters C, Geboes K, De Hertogh G. Aggressive systemic mastocytosis complicated by protein-losing enteropathy. Dig Liver Dis
5. Elvevi A, Grifoni F, Branchi F, Gianelli U, Conte D. Severe chronic diarrhea and maculopapular rash: A case report. World J Gastroenterol 2011;17:3948-52.
6. Lee JK, Whittaker SJ, Enns RA, Zetler P. Gastrointestinal manifestations of systemic mastocytosis. World J Gastroenterol 2008;14:7005-8.
7. A Akbar S, Raza S, E Denney J, J Johannesen E, C Doll D. Systemic Mastocytosis Presenting as Acute Appendicitis: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. Case Rep Oncol 2013;6:174-9,
8. Valent P. Review Article: Mastocytosis: a paradigmatic example of a rare disease with complex biology and pathology. Am J Cancer Res 2013;3:159-72.
9. Ramsay DB, Stephen S, Borum M, Voltaggio L, Doman DB. Mast Cells in Gastrointestinal Disease. Gastroenterol Hepatol 2010;6:772-7.
10. Ammannagari N, Grethlein S, Longhi JJ, Fisk JM. k. Isolated splenomegaly as the only presentation of systemic mastocytosis. Ann Hematol 2013;92:1573-5.
11. Valent P, Akin C, Sperr WR, Escribano L, Arock M, Horny HP, et al. Aggressive systemic mastocytosis and related mast cell disorders: current treatment options and proposed response criteria. Leuk Res 2003;27:635-41.
|Issue||Vol 56, No 10 (2018)|
|Gastrointestinal manifestations Child Mastocytosis|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|