Effect of Green Peas Protein Hydrolysate on Antihyperlipidemia and Antinephrotoxicity of Gentamicin-Induced Wistar Rats
Green peas protein hydrolysate is used in the treatment of kidney disease. Nephrotoxicity of gentamicin (GM) is known to be involved in kidney changes, dyslipidemia, and hematology. The aim of the present study is to evaluate the effects of three doses of green peas protein hydrolysate bromelain (GPPHB) as antinephrotoxicity and antihyperlipidemia on gentamicin (GM)-induced Wistar rats as an effort to find an effective dose for kidney diseases therapy. Nephrotoxicity was induced in female Wistar rats through intraperitoneal administration of GM 80 mg/kg/day for seven days. Nine treatment groups (n=6) were monitored to determine the effects of the concurrent administration of green peas protein hydrolysate at a dose of 50, 100, and 200 mg/kg/day given with GM toward kidney damage using serum creatinine and blood urea nitrogen as indicators. The parameters for nephrotoxicity of GM were kidney organ index (OI), histopathological: cloudy swelling tubular degeneration, nucleus necrosis, and hyaline cast; hematology profiles; and for hyperlipidemia were total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein (LDL), and triglyceride. After 28 days of treatments, GPPHB at the dose of 50 mg/kgBW has a good effect on kidney OI, whereas, at a dose of 200 mg/kgBW, GPPHB significantly protects rat kidneys from GM-induced histopathological changes. The GPPHB dose of 100 and 200 mg/kgBW significantly lowered the total cholesterol, LDL, and triglyceride levels but had no significant effect on hematology profiles. Three doses of GPPHB had antihyperlipidemia and antinephrotoxicity effects in GM-induced nephrotoxicity Wistar rats.
2. Udenigwe CC, Aluko RE. Food Protein-Derived Bioactive Peptides: Production, Processing, and Potential Health Benefits. J Food Sci [Internet]. 2011 Nov 10;77(1):R11–24. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2011.02455.
3. Hidayat M. 2018. Preparation and Examination of Hydrolysate Protein of Green Peas by Bromelain for Improvement Kidney Function. Copyright 2018. Ministry of Justice and Human Rights Director General Intellectual Property Republic of Indonesia. EC00201810615
4. Alnakshbandi AA. Aminoglycosides induce fragility of human red cell membrane: an in vitro study. Indian J Pharmacol. 2015;47(1): 114-6. https://doi.org/10.4103/0253-7613.150375
5. Lopez-Novoa JM, Quiros Y, Vicente L, Morales AI & Lopez-Hernandez F J. New insights into the mechanism of aminoglycoside nephrotoxicity: An integrative point of view. Kidney Int. 2011.79(1):33-45. https://doi.org/10.1038/ki.2010.337
6. Sodimbaku V, Pujari L, Mullangi R.& Marri S. Carrot (Daucus carota L.): Nephroprotective against gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats. Indian J Pharmacol. 2016; 48(2):122-7
7. Pavle Randjelović, Slavimir Veljković, Nenad Stojiljković, Dušan Sokolović, Ivan Ilić. Gentamicin Nephrotoxicity in Animals: Current Knowledge and Future Perspectives. EXCLI Journal 2017;16:388-399
8. Alarifi S, Al-Doaiss A, Alkahtani S, Al-Farraj SA,Al-Eissa MS, Al-Dahmash B, et al. Blood chemical changes and renal histological alterations induced by gentamicin in rats. Saudi J Biol Sci. 2012;19:103–10
9. Harlow E & Lane D. Bradford Assay. Cold Spring Harbor Protocols, 2006(6), pdb.prot4644-pdb.prot4644. https://doi.org/10.1101/pdb.prot4644
10. Alu’datt MH, Rababah T, Alhamad MN, Alodat M, Al-Mahasneh MA GS. Molecular characterization and bio-functional property determination using SDS-PAGE and RP-HPLC of protein fractions from two Nigella species. Food Chemistry.2017;230,: 125–134.
11. Kunitz M. Crystalline Deoxyribonuclease I. Isolation and general properties spectrophotometric method fo the measurement of desoxyribonuclease activity. J Gen Physiol. 1950;33: 349–362.
12. Li H, Prairie N, Udenigwe CC, Adebiyi AP, Tappia PS, Aukema HM, et al. Blood Pressure Lowering Effect of a Pea Protein Hydrolysate in Hypertensive Rats and Humans. J Agric Food Chem.2011; 59 (18):9854–60 https://doi.org/10.1021/jf201911p
13. Restiani R. Hidrolisis secara Enzimatis protein Bungkil Biji Nyamplung (Calophyllum inophyllum) menggunakan Bromelain. Biota. 2015;1(3), 86–91.
14. Hale LP, Greer PK, Trinh CT. Proteinase activity and stability of natural bromelain preparations. Int Immunopharmacol.2005; 5(4), 783–93.
15. Laemmli UK. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of bacteriophage T4. Nature. 1970;227, 680–685.
16. Poh SS and Abdul Majid F. Thermal stability of free bromelain and bromelain-plyphenol complex in pineapple juice. Int Food Res Journ. 2011; 18(3), 1051–1060.
17. Mingeot-Leclercq MP and Tulkens PM. Aminoglycosides: Nephrotoxicity. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1999; 43(5): 1003–1012.
18. Suhita NLPR, Sudira IW, Winaya IBO. White Kidney Rat Histopathology Due to provision Extracts of Pegagan (Centella asiatica) Peroral. Udayana Vet. Bulletin. 2013;5:63-9.
19. Giknis MLA CC. Clinical Laboratory Parameters for Crl: WI (Han). Montreal: Charles River Accelerating drug development; 2008. p 9
20. Hidayat M. Green peas Hydrolysate Protein (Pisum sativum) for the treatment of Chronic Kidney Disease. Monograph. Bandung Indonesia. Alfabeta publishers. 2018. p 94.
21. Prairie NP. The cardio-renal effect of pea protein hydrolysate in a chronic kidney disease rat model. Department of Human Nutritional Sciences University of Manitoba Winnipeg. Thesis. 2011.
22. Gato N, Kadowaki A, Hashimoto N, Yokoyama SI, Matsumoto K. Persimmon fruit tannin-rich fiber reduces cholesterol levels in humans. Ann Nutr Metab [Internet]. 2013;62(1):1-6. Available from:
23. Hellendoorn EW. Beneficial physiological activity of leguminous seeds. Qualitas Plantarum. 1979;29(1-2):227-44. Plant Foods for Human Nutrition. ISSN 0921-9668 (Print) 1573-9104 (Online)
24. Fitria L, Mulyati, Tiraya CM, Budi AS. Profil reproduksi Tikus Jantan Galur Wistar (Rattus norvegicus Berkenhout, 1769) Stadia Muda, Pradewasa dan Dewasa. J Biol Papua. 2015;7(1)29-36. Doi: 10.1186/1471-2105-11-382 https://www.researchgate.net/publication/321182892_Profil_Reproduksi_Jantan_Tikus_Rattus_norvegicus_Berkenhout_1769_Galur_Wistar_Stadia_Muda_Pradewasa_dan_Dewasa
25. Nakhjavani M, Nargesi AA , Salabati M , Mahmoudzadeh R , Morteza A , Heidari B , and Esteghamati A. Changes in Leukocyte Subpopulations with Decline in Glomerular Filtration Rate in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes. Acta Med Iran. 2015;53(7):425-431.
26. Jensen H, Doghty RW, Grant D, Myhre O. A modified model of gentamicin induced renal failure in rats: Toxicological effects of the iodinated X-ray contrast media ioversol and potential usefulness for toxicological evaluation of iodinated X-ray contrast media. Exp Roxicol Path. 2013;65(5): 601-7
27. Vaziri ND. Dyslipidemia of chronic renal failure: the nature, mechanisms, and potential consequences. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol [Internet]. 2006;290:F262–72. [Cited: 2018 January, 13], Available from:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.