Determine the Prevalence of Overweight and Obesity and Effective Factors in Iranian Females: A Population-Based Cross-Sectional Study
The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence of overweight and obesity and their associated factors in the female population of Shiraz, South of Iran. This population-based cross-sectional study is based on a screening program on 11850 women referring to a gynecological clinic between 2004 and 2012. Overweight and obesity were defined as a body mass index (BMI) of 25-29.9 kg/m2 and a BMI ≥30 kg/m2, respectively. The mean age of participants was 41.1±10.6 yrs. Mean BMI were 27 kg/m2 (95% CI: 26.90-27.10). The total prevalence of overweight and obesity was 41.4% (95% CI: 40.5-42.3) and 24.10% (95% CI: 23.3-24.9), respectively. In addition, 50-54-year-old women were more likely to have a BMI ≥25 than Youngers. The high prevalence of obesity and overweight in the present study indicates the need for planning preventive programs for the health system in this population.
2. Kilpi F, Webber L, Musaigner A, Aitsi-Selmi A, Marsh T, Rtveladze K, et al. Alarming predictions for obesity and non-communicable diseases in the Middle East. Public health nutr 2014;17:1078-86.
3. Wild S, Roglic G, Green A, Sicree R, King H. Global prevalence of diabetes: estimates for the year 2000 and projections for 2030. Diabetes care 2004;27:1047-53.
4. Ayatollahi S, Ghoreshizadeh Z. Prevalence of obesity and overweight among adults in Iran. Obes rev 2010;11:335-7.
5. Mitchell S, Shaw D. The worldwide epidemic of female obesity. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 2015;29:289-99.
6. Haghdoost A, Rezazadeh Kermani M, Sadghirad B, Baradaran H. Prevalence of type 2 diabetes in the Islamic Republic of Iran: systematic review and meta-analysis. East Mediterr Health J 2009;15:591-9.
7. Esteghamati A, Khalilzadeh O, Mohammad K, Meysamie A, Rashidi A, Kamgar M, et al. Secular trends of obesity in Iran between 1999 and 2007: National Surveys of Risk Factors of Non-communicable Diseases. Metab Syndr Relat Disord 2010;8:209-13.
8. Global Health Observatory [GHO] data. Overweight and obesity. (Accessed August 2017, 21, at http://www.who.int/gho/ncd/risk_factors/overweight/en/.)
9. Jafari-Adli S, Jouyandeh Z, Qorbani M, Soroush A, Larijani B, Hasani-Ranjbar S. Prevalence of obesity and overweight in adults and children in Iran; a systematic review. J Diabetes Metab Disord 2014;13:121.
10. Azimi-Nezhad M, Herbeth B, Siest G, Dadé S, Ndiaye NC, Esmaily H, et al. High prevalence of metabolic syndrome in Iran in comparison with France: what are the components that explain this? Metab synd relat disord 2012;10:181-8.
11. Maddah M, Nikooyeh B. Obesity among Iranian adolescent girls: location of residence and parental obesity. J health, popul nutr 2010;28:61-6.
12. Torre LA, Bray F, Siegel RL, Ferlay J, Lortet‐Tieulent J, Jemal A. Global cancer statistics, 2012. CA cancer j clin 2015;65:87-108.
13. Janghorbani M, Amini M, Willett WC, Gouya MM, Delavari A, Alikhani S, et al. First nationwide survey of prevalence of overweight, underweight, and abdominal obesity in Iranian adults. Obesity 2007;15:2797-808.
14. Bahrami H, Sadatsafavi M, Pourshams A, Kamangar F, Nouraei M, Semnani S, et al. Obesity and hypertension in an Iranian cohort study; Iranian women experience higher rates of obesity and hypertension than American women. BMC public health 2006;6:158.
15. Kolahi A-A, Moghisi A, Ekhtiari YS. Socio-demographic determinants of obesity indexes in Iran: findings from a nationwide STEPS survey. Health promotion perspect 2018;8:187-94.
16. Nikooyeh B, Abdollahi Z, Salehi F, Nourisaeidlou S, Hajifaraji M, Zahedirad M, et al. Prevalence of obesity and overweight and its associated factors in urban adults from West Azerbaijan, Iran: The National Food and Nutritional Surveillance Program [NFNSP]. Nutr Food Sci Res 2016;3:21-6.
17. Taylor JY, Chambers AN, Funnell B, Wu CY. Effects of parity on blood pressure among African-American women. J Natl Black Nurses Assoc 2008;19:12-9.
18. Martinez ME, Pond E, Wertheim BC, Nodora JN, Jacobs ET, Bondy M, et al. Association between parity and obesity in Mexican and Mexicanâ€“American women: findings from the Ella Binational breast cancer study. J immig minor health 2013;15:234-43.
19. Rebholz SL, Jones T, Burke KT, Jaeschke A, Tso P, D'Alessio DA, et al. Multiparity leads to obesity and inflammation in mothers and obesity in male offspring. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2012;302:E449-E57.
20. Babusik P, Duris I. Comparison of obesity and its relationship to some metabolic risk factors of atherosclerosis in Arabs and South Asians in Kuwait. Med Princ Pract 2010;19:275-80.
21. Zhang X, Sun Z, Zhang X, Zheng L, Liu S, Xu C, et al.
Prevalence and associated factors of overweight and obesity in older rural Chinese. Intern med j 2008;38:580-6.
22. Do Carmo I, Dos Santos O, Camolas J, Vieira J, Carreira M, Medina L, et al. Overweight and obesity in Portugal: national prevalence in 2003–2005. Obes rev 2008;9:11-9.
23. Gallus S, Colombo P, Scarpino V, Zuccaro P, Negri E, Apolone G, et al. Overweight and obesity in Italian adults 2004, and an overview of trends since 1983. Eur J Clin Nutr 2006;60:1174-9.
24. Sibai AM, Hwalla N, Adra N, Rahal B. Prevalence and covariates of obesity in Lebanon: findings from the first epidemiological study. Obes res 2003;11:1353-61.
25. Kiadaliri AA, Jafari M, Mahdavi M-RV, Faghihzadeh S, Kalantari N, Asadi-Lari M. The prevalence of adulthood overweight and obesity in Tehran: findings from Urban HEART-2 study. Med j Islamic Repub Iran 2015;29:178.
26. Bakhshi E, Koohpayehzadeh J, Seifi B, Rafei A, Biglarian A, Asgari F, et al. Obesity and related factors in Iran: the STEPS Survey, 2011. Iran Red Crescent Med J 2015;17:e22479.
27. Najafipour H, Yousefzadeh G, Forood A, Karamouzian M, Shadkam M, Mirzazadeh A. Overweight and obesity prevalence and its predictors in a general population: A community-based study in Kerman, Iran [Kerman coronary artery diseases risk factors studies]. ARYA atheroscler 2016;12:18-27.
28. Santas F, Santas G. Obesity among Women in Turkey. Iran J Public Health 2018;47:682-8.
29. Rashidy‐Pour A, Malek M, Eskandarian R, Ghorbani R. Obesity in the Iranian population. Obes rev 2009;10:2-6.
30. Hajian‐Tilaki K, Heidari B. Prevalence of obesity, central obesity and the associated factors in urban population aged 20–70 years, in the north of Iran: a population‐based study and regression approach. Obes rev 2007;8:3-10.
31. Erem C, Arslan C, Hacihasanoglu A, Deger O, Topbaş M, Ukinc K, et al. prevalence of obesity and associated risk factors in a Turkish population [Trabzon city, Turkey]. Obes res 2004;12:1117-27.
32. Rahmani A, Sayehmiri K, Asadollahi K, Sarokhani D, Islami F, Sarokhani M. Investigation of the Prevalence of Obesity in Iran: a Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis Study.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.