Prevalence of Helicobacter pylori vacA, cagA, cagE1, cagE2, dupA and oipA Genotypes in Patients With Gastrointestinal Diseases
Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) is a bacterium resides in the human stomach which is associated with gastroduodenal diseases. We investigate the prevalence of cagA, vacA, oipA, cagE1, cagE2 and dupA genotypes in H. pylori isolated from patients with Gastric ulcer, duodenal ulcer, and Gastric Cancer.
Collected 74 samples from the Gastroenterology Unit of the Rasool Akram Hospital were included in this study. Gastric disorders were identified by endoscopy .gastric cancer was further confirmed by histopathology. H. pylori were detected by the urease test. Subsequently, DNA was extracted from gastric tissue of the subjects with the CLO-test yielded positive results.
In general, 74 patients with a mean age of 53.45 years (Range 22 to 86 years old), including 45 men and 29 women, were studied. Among 74 H. pylori-positive patients, 70 (94.5%) patients were positive for the cagA gene. About 95.8% (23/24) of the patients with gastric carcinoma were dupA positive and VacA gene (91.8%). The oipA genotype was detected in 71 (96%) of H.pylori positive samples. This gene was more common in patients with gastritis rather than cancer group. Also, 97.2% of 74 H. pylori isolates were cagE2-positive. In 25 patients with PUD, the occurrence percent of cagA+/VacA+, cagA+/Vac- , cagA- /VacA+ and cagA- /VaxA- genotypes were found 80%, 12%, 4.2% and 4.2 respectively.
The results of the present study suggest that a high prevalence of virulent factors could contribute to the risk of developing gastroduodenal diseases.
1. Boehnke KF, Eaton KA, Valdivieso M, Baker LH, Xi C. Animal Model Reveals Potential Waterborne Transmission of H elicobacter pylori Infection. Helicobacter. 2015; 20(5):326-33.
2. Sayehmiri F, Kiani F, Sayehmiri K, Soroush S, Asadollahi K, Alikhani MY, Delpisheh A, Emaneini M, Bogdanovic L, Varzi AM, Zarrilli R. Prevalence of cagA and vacA among Helicobacter pylori-infected patients in Iran: a systematic review and meta-analysis. The Journal of Infection in Developing Countries. 2015; 9(07):686-96.
3. Okuda M, Osaki T, Lin Y, Yonezawa H, Maekawa K, Kamiya S, Fukuda Y, Kikuchi S. Low Prevalence and Incidence of H elicobacter pylori Infection in Children: A Population‐Based Study in Japan. Helicobacter. 2015 (2):133-8.
4. Sallas ML, Melchiades JL, Zabaglia LM, Moreno J. Prevalence of Helicobacter pylori vacA, cagA, dupA and oipA genotypes in patients with Gastric Disease. Adv Mircobiol. 2017; 7(1):1-9.
5. Moosazadeh M, Lankarani KB, Afshari M. Meta-analysis of the prevalence of Helicobacter pylori infection among children and adults of Iran. International journal of preventive medicine. 2016; 7.
6. Eaton KA, Krakowka S. Effect of gastric pH on urease-dependent colonization of gnotobiotic piglets by Helicobacter pylori. Infection and immunity. 1994; 62(9):3604-7.
7. Erzin Y, Koksal V, Altun S, Dobrucali A, Aslan M, Erdamar S, Dirican A, Kocazeybek B. Prevalence of Helicobacter pylori vacA, cagA, cagE, iceA, babA2 genotypes and correlation with clinical outcome in Turkish patients with dyspepsia. Helicobacter. 2006; 11(6):574-80.
8. Akeel, M., Shehata, A., Elhafey, A., Elmakki, E., Aboshouk, T., Ageely, H. and Mahfouz, M. Helicobacter pylori vacA, cagA and iceA genotypes in dyspeptic patients from southwestern region, Saudi Arabia: distribution and association with clinical outcomes and histopathological changes. BMC gastroenterology, 2019; 19(1), p.16.
9. Yamaoka Y, Graham DY. Helicobacter pylori virulence and cancer pathogenesis. Future oncology. 2014; 10(8):1487-500.
10. Shiota S, Suzuki R, Yamaoka Y. The significance of virulence factors in Helicobacter pylori. Journal of digestive diseases. 2013; 14(7):341-9.
11. Lima VP, de Lima MAP, Ferreira MVP, Barros MAP, Rabenhorst SHB. The relationship between Helicobacter pylori genes cagE and virB11 and gastric cancer. International Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2010; 14(7):e613-e7.
12. Lu H, Hsu P-I, Graham DY, Yamaoka Y. Duodenal ulcer promoting gene of Helicobacter pylori. Gastroenterology. 2005; 128(4):833-48.
13. Argent RH, Burette A, Miendje Deyi VY, Atherton JC. The presence of dupA in Helicobacter pylori is not significantly associated with duodenal ulceration in Belgium, South Africa, China, or North America. Clinical infectious diseases. 2007; 45(9):1204-6.
14. Fazeli Z, Alebouyeh M, Tavirani MR, Azimirad M, Yadegar A. Helicobacter pylori CagA induced interleukin-8 secretion in gastric epithelial cells. Gastroenterology and hepatology from bed to bench. 2016; 9(Suppl1):S42.
15. Vaziri F, Peerayeh SN, Alebouyeh M, Molaei M, Maghsoudi N, Zali MR. Determination of Helicobacter pylori CagA EPIYA types in Iranian isolates with different gastroduodenal disorders. Infection, Genetics and Evolution. 2013; 17:101-5.
16. Latifi-Navid S, Ghorashi SA, Siavoshi F, Linz B, Massarrat S, Khegay T, Salmanian AH, Shayesteh AA, Masoodi M, Ghanadi K, Ganji A. Ethnic and geographic differentiation of Helicobacter pylori within Iran. PloS one. 2010;5(3):e9645.
17. Nagiyev T, Yula E, Abayli B, Koksal F. Prevalence and genotypes of Helicobacter pylori in gastric biopsy specimens from patients with gastroduodenal pathologies in the Cukurova region of Turkey. Journal of clinical microbiology. 2009; 47(12):4150-3.
18. Ahmad T, Sohail K, Rizwan M, Mukhtar M, Bilal R, Khanum A. Prevalence of Helicobacter pylori pathogenicity-associated cagA and vacA genotypes among Pakistani dyspeptic patients. FEMS Immunology & Medical Microbiology. 2009; 55(1):34-8.
19. Kobayashi I, Murakami K, Kato M, Kato S, Azuma T, Takahashi SI, Uemura N, Katsuyama T, Fukuda Y, Haruma K, Nasu M. Changing antimicrobial susceptibility epidemiology of Helicobacter pylori strains in Japan between 2002 and 2005. Journal of clinical microbiology. 2007; 45(12):4006-10.
20. Molaei M, Foroughi F, Mashayekhi R, Haghazali M, Zojaji H, Jafari F, Dabiri H, Zali MR. CagA status and VacA subtypes of Helicobacter pylori in relation to histopathologic findings in Iranian population. Indian Journal of Pathology and Microbiology. 2010; 53(1):24.
21. Jafari F, Shokrzadeh L, Dabiri H, Baghaei K, Yamaoka Y, Zojaji H, Haghazali M, Molaei M, Zali MR. vacA genotypes of Helicobacter pylori in relation to cagA status and clinical outcomes in Iranian populations. Japanese journal of infectious diseases. 2008; 61(4):290.
22. Alvandi AH, Abiri R, Ahmadi-Jouybari T, Souri N. Genetic Diversity of Helicobacter pylori Strains Isolated from Patients with Gastroduodenal Diseases Using Multilocus Sequence Typing in Kermanshah. JUNDISHAPUR JOURNAL OF MICROBIOLOGY. 2019; 12(6).
23. Salih BA, Abasiyanik MF, Bayyurt N, Sander E. H pylori infection and other risk factors associated with peptic ulcers in Turkish patients: A retrospective study. World Journal of Gastroenterology: WJG. 2007; 13(23):3245.
24. Dabiri H, Maleknejad P, Yamaoka Y, Feizabadi MM, Jafari F, Rezadehbashi M, Nakhjavani FA, Mirsalehian A, Zali MR. Distribution of Helicobacter pylori cagA, cagE, oipA and vacA in different major ethnic groups in Tehran, Iran. Journal of gastroenterology and hepatology. 2009; 24(8):1380-6.
25. Kim JM, Kim JS, Kim N, Jung HC, and Song IS. Distribution of fluoroquinolone MICs in Helicobacter pylori strains from Korean patients. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. 2005; 56(5):965-7.
26. Hu Y, Zhu Y, Lu N-h. Primary antibiotic resistance of Helicobacter pylori in China. Digestive diseases and sciences. 2017; 62(5):1146-54.
27. Nahaei MR, Sharifi Y, Akhi MT, Asgharzadeh M, Nahaei M, Fatahi E. Heliobacter pylori caga and vaca genotypes and their relationships to peptic ulcer disease and non-ulcer dyspepsia. Res J Microbiol. 2008; 3(5):386-94.
28. Safavi M, Sabourian R, Foroumadi A. Treatment of Helicobacter pylori infection: current and future insights. World journal of clinical cases. 2016; 4(1):5.
29. Izadi M, Fazel M, Sharubandi SH, Saadat SH, Farahani MM, Nasseri MH, Dabiri H, SafiAryan R, Esfahani AA, Ahmadi A, Jafari NJ. Helicobacter species in the atherosclerotic plaques of patients with coronary artery disease. Cardiovascular Pathology. 2012; 21(4):307-11.
30. Torres LE, Melián K, Moreno A, Alonso J, Sabatier CA, Hernández M, Bermúdez L, Rodríguez BL. Prevalence of vacA, cagA and babA2 genes in Cuban Helicobacter pylori isolates. World journal of gastroenterology. 2009; 15(2):204.
31. Khayat A, Soweid A, Kattar M, Tawil A, Gold B, Matar G. Prevalence and clinical relevance of Helicobacter pylori cagA and vacA genes in Lebanese patients with gastritis and peptic ulcer disease. J Infect Developing Countries. 2007; 1(1):55-61.
32. Gomes LI, Rocha GA, Rocha AM, Soares TF, Oliveira CA, Bittencourt PF, Queiroz DM. Lack of association between Helicobacter pylori infection with dupA-positive strains and gastroduodenal diseases in Brazilian patients. International journal of medical microbiology. 2008; 298(3-4):223-30.
33. Gressmann H, Linz B, Ghai R, Pleissner KP, Schlapbach R, Yamaoka Y, Kraft C, Suerbaum S, Meyer TF, Achtman M. Gain and loss of multiple genes during the evolution of Helicobacter pylori. PLoS genetics. 2005; 1(4):e43.
34. Douraghi M, Mohammadi M, Oghalaie A, Abdirad A, Mohagheghi MA, Hosseini ME, Zeraati H, Ghasemi A, Esmaieli M, Mohajerani N. dupA as a risk determinant in Helicobacter pylori infection. Journal of medical microbiology. 2008; 57(5):554-62.
35. Yamaoka Y, Kikuchi S, El–Zimaity HM, Gutierrez O, Osato MS, Graham DY. Importance of Helicobacter pylori oipA in clinical presentation, gastric inflammation, and mucosal interleukin 8 production. Gastroenterology. 2002; 123(2):414-24.
36. Kudo T, Nurgalieva ZZ, Conner ME, Crawford S, Odenbreit S, Haas R, Graham DY, Yamaoka Y. Correlation between Helicobacter pylori OipA protein expression and oipA gene switch status. Journal of clinical microbiology. 2004; 42(5):2279-81.
37. Shao S-H, Wang H, Chai S-G, Liu L-M. Research progress on Helicobacter pylori outer membrane protein. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2005; 11(20):3011.
38. Chomvarin C, Namwat W, Chaicumpar K, Mairiang P, Sangchan A, Sripa B, Tor-Udom S, Vilaichone RK. Prevalence of Helicobacter pylori vacA, cagA, cagE, iceA and babA2 genotypes in Thai dyspeptic patients. International Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2008; 12(1):30-6.
39. Ali M, Khan AA, Tiwari SK, Ahmed N, Rao LV, Habibullah C. Association between cag-pathogenicity island in Helicobacter pylori isolates from peptic ulcer, gastric carcinoma, and non-ulcer dyspepsia subjects with histological changes. World journal of gastroenterology. 2005; 11(43):6815.
40. Módena JL, Acrani GO, Micas AF, Castro MD, Silveira WD, Módena JL, Oliveira RB, Brocchi M. Correlation between Helicobacter pylori infection, gastric diseases and life habits among patients treated at a university hospital in Southeast Brazil. Brazilian Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2007; 11(1):89-95.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.