A Case of Bilateral Anesthesia Mumps After General Anesthesia for Tibial Fracture Surgery
- Acute transient swelling of the parotid glands during or after surgery under general anesthesia was prescribed by previous colleagues. This complication is called anesthesia mumps. We present a case of bilateral parotid swelling noticed early in the intraoperative period. A 52-year-old male patient was scheduled for internal fixation of right tibial fracture under general anesthesia. The surgical procedure was uneventful and lasted for 2.5 hours. But 30 minutes after the beginning of surgery, swelling of both parotid regions was noted. In the recovery unit, the patient had moderate swelling of both parotids, expanding down to the mandibular angle with no complaint of pain, difficulty in swallowing, and dyspnea. Swelling decreased in size after five days and resolved in seven days. It is important to recognize anesthesia mumps as a rare complication that can appear during surgery or in the early postoperative period.
2. Reilly DJ. Benign transient swelling of the parotid glands following general anesthesia: "anesthesia mumps". Anesth Analg. 1970;49(4):560-3.
3. Kim LJ, Klopfenstein JD, Feiz-Erfan I, Zubay GP, Spetzler RF. Postoperative acute sialadenitis after skull base surgery. Skull Base. 2008;18(2):129-34.
4. Matsuki A, Wakayama S, Oyama T. Acute transient swelling of the salivary glands during and following endotracheal anaesthesia. Anaesthesist. 1975;24(3):125-8.
5. Bahadur S, Fayyaz M, Mehboob S. Salivary gland swelling developing after endoscopy: "anesthesia mumps". Gastrointest Endosc. 2006;63(2):345-7.
6. Bayir H, Yildiz I, Sereflican M, Yoldas H, Demirhan A, Kurt AD. A pediatric case of anesthesia mumps after general anesthesia. J Res Med Sci. 2015;20(11):1123-4.
7. Özdek A, Bayır Ö, Işık ME, Tatar EÇ, Saylam G, Korkmaz H. Anesthesia mumps resulting in temporary facial nerve paralysis after the auditory brainstem implantation in a 3-year-old child. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2014;78(1):159-62.
8. Katı İ, Kurdoğlu Z, Göktaş U, Aytekin O Ç, Avcu S. Anesthesia Mumps after The Cesarean Section in Pregnant Woman. Eur J Gen Med. 2011;8(4):342-4. doi:10.29333/ejgm/82768.
9. Mutaf M, Büyükgüral B. An unusual postoperative complication: anesthesia mumps. Eur J Plast Surg. 2007;29(7):335-8.
10. Erkiliç E, Kesimci E, Yüngül A, Alaybeyoğlu F, Aksoy M. A Complication after Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy: Anesthesia Mumps. Anesth Essays Res. 2017;11(3):794-6.
11. Kwon SY, Kang YJ, Seo KH, Kim Y. Acute unilateral anesthesia mumps after hysteroscopic surgery under general anesthesia: a case report. Korean J Anesthesiol. 2015;68(3):300-3.
12. Rowell J, Lynn AM, Filardi TZ, Celix J, Ojemann JG. Acute unilateral enlargement of the parotid gland immediately post craniotomy in a pediatric patient: a case report. Childs Nerv Syst. 2010;26(9):1239-42.
13. Akçaboy EY, Akçaboy ZN, Alkan H, Gogus N. "Anesthesia mumps" after electroconvulsive therapy anesthesia. J ECT. 2011;27(1):e21-2.
14. Jain D, Bala I, Dwivedi D. Anaesthesia mumps in a child: A rare entity. Indian J Anaesth. 2014;58(4):500-1.
15. Cavaliere F, Conti G, Annetta MG, Greco A, Cina A, Proietti R. Massive facial edema and airway obstruction secondary to acute postoperative sialadenitis or "anesthesia mumps": a case report. J Med Case Rep. 2009;3:7073.
16. Kiran S, Lamba A, Chhabra B. Acute pansialadenopathy during induction of anesthesia causing airway obstruction. Anesth Analg. 1997;85(5):1052-3.
17. Ghanem M, Brown J, McGurk M. Pneumoparotitis: a diagnostic challenge. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012;41(6):774-6.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.