Diagnostic Value of CK19, HBME-1 and TROP2 Biomarkers in Identification of Different Types of Thyroid Follicular Neoplasms
Thyroid malignancies are found in 7% to 15% of all thyroid nodules. Immunohistochemical markers, including CK19, HBME-1and TROP2, have shown an effective role in identifying these malignancies. Hence, due to the lack of appropriate diagnostic tests for the identification of thyroid neoplasms, in this study, we aimed to determine the diagnostic value of these biomarkers in the identification of different types of follicular thyroid neoplasms. In this cross-sectional study, paraffin-embedded tissue blocks from the surgical resection of patients with thyroid nodules, referring to Imam Reza and Razavi Hospitals of Mashhad in 2017, were studied. Sensitivity, specificity, and positive and negative predictive values of these biomarkers for the identification of different types of follicular thyroid neoplasms were also studied. 129 patients with a mean age of 44.65±12.59 years participated in this study, of whom 101 (78.29%) were women. The most common type of follicular thyroid neoplasm was papillary carcinoma (60.47%). The highest sensitivity (94.87%) and positive predictive value (68.51%) in the detection of follicular neoplasms was observed by CK19 in papillary carcinoma. The sensitivity and positive predictive value of TROP2 in the detection of papillary neoplasms was 93.58% and 75.25%, respectively. In addition, HBME-1 had the highest specificity (72.54 %) and positive predictive value (81.57%) in identifying this neoplasm. The results of this study showed that CK19, HBME-1, and TROP2 had high diagnostic value in the detection of papillary thyroid neoplasms. Although these biomarkers had low diagnostic value in identifying follicular adenoma and carcinoma, given the high negative predictive value, they can be considered as powerful markers in identifying negative cases.
2. Schneider DF, Chen H. New developments in the diagnosis and treatment of thyroid cancer. CA Cancer J Clin 2013;63:374-94.
3. Siegel RL, Miller KD, Jemal A. Cancer statistics, 2019. CA Cancer J Clin 2019;69:34-7.
4. Kebebew E, Greenspan FS, Clark OH, Woeber KA, McMillan A. Anaplastic thyroid carcinoma. Treatment outcome and prognostic factors. Cancer 2005;103:1330-5.
5. Enewold L, Zhu K, Ron E, Marrogi AJ, Stojadinovic A, Peoples GE, et al. Rising thyroid cancer incidence in the United States by demographic and tumor characteristics, 1980-2005. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2009;18:784-91.
6. Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, Ferlay J, Ward E, Forman D. Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin 2011;61:69-90.
7. Haugen BR, Alexander EK, Bible KC, Doherty GM, Mandel SJ, Nikiforov YE, et al. 2015 American Thyroid Association Management Guidelines for Adult Patients with Thyroid Nodules and Differentiated Thyroid Cancer: The American Thyroid Association Guidelines Task Force on Thyroid Nodules and Differentiated Thyroid Cancer. Thyroid 2016;26:1-133.
8. Karimi F. Diagnostic Accuracy of Fine Needle Aspiration for Solitary and Multiple Thyroid Nodules in a Tertiary Care Center. Int J Cancer Manag 2017;10:e10589.
9. Simms A, Jacob RP, Cohen C, Siddiqui MT. TROP-2 expression in papillary thyroid carcinoma: Potential Diagnostic Utility. Diagn Cytopathol 2016;44:26-31.
10. Abdou AG, Shabaan M, Abdallha R, Nabil N. Diagnostic Value of TROP-2 and CK19 Expression in Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma in Both Surgical and Cytological Specimens. Clin Pathol 2019;12:2632010x19863047.
11. Zargari N, Mokhtari M. Evaluation of Diagnostic Utility of Immunohistochemistry Markers of TROP-2 and HBME-1 in the Diagnosis of Thyroid Carcinoma. Eur Thyroid J 2019;8:1-6.
12. Cho H, Kim JY, Oh YL. Diagnostic value of HBME-1, CK19, Galectin 3, and CD56 in the subtypes of follicular variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma. Pathol Int 2018;68:605-13.
13. Liu H, Shi J, Lin F. The Potential Diagnostic Utility of TROP-2 in Thyroid Neoplasms. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 2017;25:525-33.
14. Liu Z, Yu P, Xiong Y, Zeng W, Li X, Maiaiti Y, et al. Significance of CK19, TPO, and HBME-1 expression for diagnosis of papillary thyroid carcinoma. Int J Clin Exp Med 2015;8:4369-74.
15. Lacoste-Collin L, d'Aure D, Berard E, Rouquette I, Delisle MB, Courtade-Saidi M. Improvement of the cytological diagnostic accuracy of follicular thyroid lesions by the use of the Ki-67 proliferative index in addition to cytokeratin-19 and HBME-1 immunomarkers: a study of 61 cases of liquid-based FNA cytology with histological controls. Cytopathology 2014;25:160-9.
16. Murtezaoglu AR, Gucer H. Diagnostic value of TROP-2 expression in papillary thyroid carcinoma and comparison with HBME-1, galectin-3 and cytokeratin 19. Pol J Pathol 2017;68:1-10.
17. Rodrigues HG, de Pontes AA, Adan LF. Use of molecular markers in samples obtained from preoperative aspiration of thyroid. Endocr J 2012;59:417-24.
18. Chen Y-J, Zhao R-M, Zhao Q, Li B-Y, Ma Q-Y, Li X, et al. Diagnostic significance of elevated expression of HBME-1 in papillary thyroid carcinoma. Tumour Biol 2016;37:8715-20.
19. Palo S, Biligi DS. Differential diagnostic significance of HBME-1, CK19 and S100 in various thyroid lesions. Malays J Pathol 2017;39:55-67.
20. Abouhashem NS, Talaat SM. Diagnostic utility of CK19 and CD56 in the differentiation of thyroid papillary carcinoma from its mimics. Pathol Res Pract 2017;213:509-17.
21. Zhu X, Sun T, Lu H, Zhou X, Lu Y, Cai X, et al. Diagnostic significance of CK19, RET, galectin-3 and HBME-1 expression for papillary thyroid carcinoma. J Clin Pathol 2010;63:786-9.
22. Nga ME, Lim GS, Soh CH, Kumarasinghe MP. HBME-1 and CK19 are highly discriminatory in the cytological diagnosis of papillary thyroid carcinoma. Diagn Cytopathol 2008;36:550-6.
|Issue||Vol 59, No 1 (2021)|
|Cytokeratin19 Human bone marrow endothelium marker-1 (HBME-1) Human trophoblastic cell-surface antigen 2 (TROP2) Follicular thyroid neoplasms|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|