COVID-19 Misdiagnosis Due to Atypical Symptoms: A Case Report
Introduction: The COVID-19 has recently become pandemic. Early diagnosis and the transmission chain cutting off are critical keys to control this disease and stop its spread. In this case report, the significance of proper and on-time diagnosis is discussed. Misdiagnosis of COVID-19 may lead to delay in early diagnosis of the disease.
Case Presentation: A 78-year-old man with chief complaint of dark stool and constipation was admitted. Based on the preliminary complaints of the patient, the emergency medical specialist transferred him to the internal caregiving service, but according to radiological findings and his positive Real time PCR test, COVID-19 was final diagnosis.
Conclusion: Healthcare planners and policymakers should prepare precise clinical guidelines that are compatible with domestic conditions of the country to improve the ability of health care providers for diagnosing patients with COVID-19 to promote controlling this condition.
2. Wang C, Horby P, Hayden F, Gao G. coronavirus outbreak of global health concern. Lancet 2020; published online Jan 24. https://dox. doi. org/S0140-6736 (20) 30185-9—In this Comment, the first sentence of the. 2020.
3. Huang C, Wang Y, Li X, Ren L, Zhao J, Hu Y, et al. Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China. The Lancet. 2020;395(10223):497-506.
4. Chen L, Liu H, Liu W, Liu J, Liu K, Shang J, et al. Analysis of clinical features of 29 patients with 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia. Zhonghua jie he he hu xi za zhi= Zhonghua jiehe he huxi zazhi= Chinese journal of tuberculosis and respiratory diseases. 2020;43:E005-E.
5. Phan LT, Nguyen TV, Luong QC, Nguyen TV, Nguyen HT, Le HQ, et al. Importation and human-to-human transmission of a novel coronavirus in Vietnam. New England Journal of Medicine. 2020;382(9):872-4.
6. Li Q, Guan X, Wu P, Wang X, Zhou L, Tong Y, et al. Early transmission dynamics in Wuhan, China, of novel coronavirus–infected pneumonia. New England Journal of Medicine. 2020.
7. Lai C-C, Shih T-P, Ko W-C, Tang H-J, Hsueh P-R. Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) and corona virus disease-2019 (COVID-19): the epidemic and the challenges. International journal of antimicrobial agents. 2020:105924.
8. Rothan HA, Byrareddy SN. The epidemiology and pathogenesis of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak. Journal of Autoimmunity. 2020:102433.
9. Sai S, Wiwanitkit V. Uncommon Atypical Presentations of COVID-19: Important and Should Not be Under Recognized! Journal of Health Science and Medical Research. 2020;38(2):153-8.
10. Eor JY, Tan PL, Lim SM, Choi DH, Yoon SM, Yang SY, et al. Laxative effect of probiotic chocolate on loperamide-induced constipation in rats. Food research international. 2019;116:1173-82.
|Issue||Vol 61 No 6 (2023)|
|COVID-19 misdiagnosis Gastroenteritis|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|