Guillain-Barré Syndrome After Receiving the First Dose of Oxford–AstraZeneca SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine
Safety monitoring of COVID-19 vaccination is paramount of importance. There are limited reports of Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) associated with the COVID-19 vaccination. The present study reported a case of GBS following the first dose of the Oxford-AstraZeneca SARS-CoV-2 vaccine. A 32-year-old man presented a history of progressive descending weakness and autonomic features within a month after receiving the Oxford-AstraZeneca SARS-CoV-2 vaccine. The neurological examination was consistent with acute polyneuropathy. The para-clinical investigations were in favor of acute demyelinating polyneuropathy. The patient was diagnosed with GBS, and IVIG was initiated as an acute treatment, which led to significant clinical recovery. We reported a case of GBS after receiving the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine. However, our findings dose not conclude a causal association between GBS and COVID-19 vaccination.
2. Lunn MP, Cornblath DR, Jacobs BC, Querol L, van Doorn PA, Hughes RA, et al. COVID-19 vaccine and Guillain-Barré syndrome: let's not leap to associations. Brain 2021;144:357-60.
3. Alberti P, Beretta S, Piatti M, Karantzoulis A, Piatti ML, Santoro P, et al. Guillain-Barré syndrome related to COVID-19 infection. Neurol Neuroimmunol Neuroinflamm 2020;7:e741.
4. D hadke SV, Dhadke VN, Bangar SS, Korade MB. Clinical profile of Guillain Barre syndrome. J Assoc Physicians India 2013;61:168-72.
5. Vellozzi C, Iqbal S, Broder K. Guillain-Barré Syndrome, Influenza, and Influenza Vaccination: The Epidemiologic Evidence. Clin Infect Dis 2014;58:1149-55.
6. Filosto M, Cotti Piccinelli S, Gazzina S, Foresti C, Frigeni B, Servalli MC, et al. Guillain-Barre syndrome and COVID-19: an observational multicentre study from two Italian hotspot regions. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2021;92:751-6.
7. Mozhdehipanah H, Paybast S, Gorji R. "Guillain–Barré syndrome as a neurological complication of COVID-19 infection: a case series and review of the literature." Int Clin Neurosci J 2020;7:156.
8. Waheed S, Bayas A, Hindi F, Rizvi Z, Espinosa PS. Neurological complications of COVID-19: Guillain-Barre syndrome following Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine. Cureus. 2021;13:e13426.
9. Ogbebor O, Seth H, Min Z, Bhanot N. Guillain-Barré syndrome following the first dose of SARS-CoV-2 vaccine: a temporal occurrence, not a causal association. IDCases 2021;24:e01143.
10. Márquez Loza AM, Holroyd KB, Johnson SA, Pilgrim DM, Amato AA. Guillain- Barré syndrome in the placebo and active arms of a COVID-19 vaccine clinical trial: temporal associations do not imply causality. Neurology 2021;10.1212/WNL.0000000000011881.
|Issue||Vol 60, No 6 (2022)|
|Coronavirus disease 2019 (COIVD-19) vaccine Oxford–AstraZeneca vaccine Guillain-Barré syndrome|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|