Prolonged Intrauterine Fetal Bone Retention Following a Neglected Pregnancy: A Case Report
We describe a case of prolonged intrauterine fetal bone retention following a neglected pregnancy. A 43-year-old rural woman had one year history of malodorous vaginal discharge. She underwent medical treatment with broad spectrum antibiotics. Four days following the onset of antibiotic therapy, cystoscopy and hysteroscopy were done. Incredibly, some bony-like pieces were extracted by instrument from endocervical canal. Intrauterine retention of fetal bones, although rare, should be considered as a possibility in cases with unexplained abdominal pain, dysmenorrhea, dyspareunia, and long period infertility. Hysteroscopy is the best modality for diagnosis and may be enough for management of the condition in many cases. However, in complicated cases, hysterectomy would be inevitable.
2. Makris N, Stefanidis K, Loutradis D, Anastasiadou K. The Incidence of Retained Fetal Bone Revealed in 2000 Diagnostic Hysteroscopies. 2006:76-77.
3. Kramer HMC, Rhemrev JPT. Journal of Medical Case Reports Secondary infertility caused by the retention of fetal bones after an abortion : a case report. 2008;3:1-3. doi:10.1186/1752-1947-2-208
4. Samraj S, Crawford S, Singh N, Patel R, Rowen D. An unusual case of pelvic pain : retention of fetal bone after abortion. 2008:353-354.
5. Salvi M, Chauhan M. Case Report Pelvic pain due to intrauterine retention of fetal bone after second trimester medical termination of pregnancy : a rare case report. 2017;6(12):5646-5647.
6. Mitra KR, Ratnaparkhi CR, Gedam BS. An unusual case of retained abdominal pregnancy for 36 years in a postmenopausal woman. 2015;5(3):208-210. doi:10.4103/2229-516X.165374
7. Moreno-Cid M, Pedreno AP, Gonzalez EP. Restoration of Fertility After Removal. 2012;28(1):58-60. doi:10.1089/gyn.2010.0097
|Issue||Vol 61 No 6 (2023)|
|Prolonged A case report fetal bone|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|