A Rare Case of Humerus Metastasis From Acinic Cell Carcinoma of Parotid Gland
Seventy-five percent of salivary gland tumors occur in parotid tumors. These tumors are mainly (75% to 85%) benign and around 25% turn out to be malignant. The most common cases of malignancy are mucoepidermoid carcinoma and adenoid cystic carcinoma (they totally represent half of the malignant tumors). Acinic cell carcinoma (ACC) is not of high incidence and is often seen in major salivary glands, particularly parotid gland. ACC makes up for 1-3% of salivary gland tumors and 3% of total parotid tumors. It is a low-grade malignant tumor with metastatic and invasive ability. Advanced stage, painful and fixed tumor, desmoplasia, anaplasia and differential character of the tumor, high mitosis, and necrosis, and nerve invasion, incomplete removal of the tumor, large size, and invasion to the deeper lobe of parotid worsen the prognosis of this tumor. We present a case report of a 52-year-old man with ACC metastasis to superior left humerus 15 years after surgery.
- Khelfa Y, Mansour M, Abdel-Aziz Y, Raufi A, Denning K, Lebowicz Y. Relapsed Acinic Cell Carcinoma of the Parotid Gland With Diffuse Distant Metastasis: Case Report With Literature Review. J Investig Med High Impact Case Rep. 2016 Nov 4;4(4):2324709616674742.
- Luo W, Lindley SW, Lindley PH, Krempl GA, Seethala RR, Fung KM. Mammary analog secretory carcinoma of salivary gland with high-grade histology arising in hard palate, report of a case and review of literature. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2014 Dec 1;7(12):9008-22.
- Namboodiripad PC. A review: Immunological markers for malignant salivary gland tumors. J Oral Biol Craniofac Res. 2014 May-Aug;4(2):127-34.
- Godge P, Sharma S, Yadav M. Adenoid cystic carcinoma of the parotid gland. Contemp Clin Dent. 2012 Apr;3(2):223-6.
- Sessa S, Ziranu A, Di Giacomo G, Giovanni A, Maccauro G. A rare case of iliac crest metastasis from acinic cell carcinoma of parotid gland. World J Surg Oncol. 2014 Mar 1;12:48.
- Saleh TA, Hakin KN, Davidson MJ. Metastasis of acinic cell carcinoma of the parotid gland to the contralateral orbit. Arch Ophthalmol. 2003 Dec;121(12):1783-6.
- Tavora F, Rassaei N, Shilo K, Foss RD, Galvin JR, Travis WD,et al. Occult primary parotid gland acinic cell adenocarcinoma presenting with extensive lung metastasis. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2007 Jun;131(6):970-3.
- Varsegi MF, Ravis SM, Hattab EM, Henley JD, Billings SD. Widespread cutaneous metastases from acinic cell carcinoma 20 years after primary presentation. J Cutan Pathol. 2008 Jun;35(6):591-3.
- Zook JD, Djurasovic M, Dimar JR, Carreon LY. Spinal metastasis from acinic cell carcinoma of the parotid gland: a case report. Spine J. 2012 Aug;12(8):e7-10.
- Vidyadhara S, Shetty AP, Rajasekaran S. Widespread metastases from acinic cell carcinoma of parotid gland. Singapore Med J. 2007 Jan;48(1):e13-5.
- Michail P, Karavokyros I, Pikoulis E, Arvelakis A, Charminis G, Michail O,et al. Acinic cell carcinoma of the parotid gland in children: a case report and literature review. West Indian Med J. 2008 Jan;57(1):70-2.
- Jackson BS, Pratt TL, Van Rooyen A. Mammary analogue secretory carcinoma: A rare salivary gland tumour. S Afr Med J. 2017 Mar 29;107(4):304-306.
- Kim M, Kim M1, Chung YR, Park SY. Mammary Carcinoma Arising in Microglandular Adenosis: A Report of Five Cases. J Pathol Transl Med. 2017 Apr 4.
- Khalele BA. Systematic review of mammary analog secretory carcinoma of salivary glands at 7 years after description. Head Neck. 2017 Apr 3.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.