Pleomorphic Ductal Carcinoma of Breast: Two Cases and Review Literature
We report two cases of pleomorphic breast carcinoma, a rare variant of high-grade invasive ductal breast carcinoma of no special type, which is a combination of pleomorphic and bizarre giant cells in an adenocarcinoma background. For gaining better insights, available literature is also reviewed.
2. Nguyen C V, Falco R, Hunt KK, Nayeemuddin KM, Lester TR, Harrell RK, et al. Pleomorphic Ductal Carcinoma of the Breast: Predictors of Decreased Overall Survival Approval from the Institutional Review Board of. Am J Surg Pathol 2010;34:486-93.
3. Lakhani SR, Ellis IO, Schnitt SJ, Tan PH, van de Vijver
MJ, eds. WHO Classification of Tumours of the Breast. 4th ed. International Agency for Research on Cancer, 2012 .
4. Zhao J, Lang R, Guo X, Chen L, Gu F, Fan Y, et al. Clinicopathologic characteristics of pleomorphic carcinoma of the breast. Virchows Arch 2010;456:31-7 .
5. Córdoba A, Del Rosario Mercado M, Vicente F, Ederra M, Torrea N, Guerrero-Setas D. Pleomorphic carcinoma of the breast with expression of macrophage markers: Report of two cases. Pathol Int 2012;62:491-5.
6. Arpino G, Bardou VJ, Clark GM, Elledge RM. Infiltrating lobular carcinoma of the breast: tumor characteristics and clinical outcome. Breast Cancer Res 2018;6:R149-56.
7. Mersin H, Yildirim E, Gülben K, Berberoğlu U. Is invasive lobular carcinoma different from invasive ductal carcinoma? Eur J Surg Oncol 2018;29:390-5.
8. Jo S, Hiraoka M, Akuta K, Nishimura Y, Takahashi M, Nishida H, et al. Histopathological changes of human tumors following thermoradiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1989;17:1265-71.
9. Douglas-Jones A, Barr WT. Breast carcinoma with tumor giant cells. Report of a case with fine needle aspiration cytology. Acta Cytol 1989;33:109-14.
10. Gupta RK, Wakefield SJ, Lallu S, Fauck R, Simpson J, Dowle CS. Aspiration cytodiagnosis of breast carcinoma in pregnancy and lactation with immunohistochemical and electron microscopic study of an unusual mammary malignancy with pleomorphic giant cells. Diagn Cytopathol 1992;8:352-6.
11. Gupta RK. Aspiration cytodiagnosis of a rare carcinoma of breast with bizarre malignant giant cells. Diagn Cytopathol 1996;15:66-9.
12. Rossi S, Buscarini E, Garbagnati F, Di Stasi M, Quaretti P, Rago M, et al. Percutaneous treatment of small hepatic tumors by an expandable RF needle electrode. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1998;170:1015-22.
13. Tavassoli F, Devilee P, eds. Pathology and genetics of tumours of the breast and female genital organs. 3rd ed. World Health Organization of Tumors, 2003.
14. Silver SA, Tavassoli FA. Pleomorphic carcinoma of the breast: clinicopathological analysis of 26 cases of an unusual high‐grade phenotype of ductal carcinoma. Histopathology 2003;36:505-14.
15. Yamada S, Nabeshima A, Nagata Y, Tasaki T, Noguchi H,
Kitada S, et al. Pleomorphic carcinoma of the breast associated with cyst formation: a unique surgical case focusing on cytological and immunohistochemical findings. Cystic breast PC. Diagn Pathol 2013;8:75.
16. Arasi NE, Neelima G, Anunayi J, Kumar LS, Swaroopa MJ. Pleomorphic ductal carcinoma of the breast: A Rare Variant 2016;4:26-9.
17. Yamaguchi R, Tanaka M, Yamaguchi M, Fukushima T, Kaneko Y, Otsuka H, et al. Pleomorphic carcinoma of the breast in a 17-year-old woman. Med Mol Morphol 2010;43:43-7.
18. Leniček T, Szerda F, Demirović A, Mijić A, Krušlin B, Tomas D. Pleomorphic ductal carcinoma of the breast with predominant micropapillary features. Pathol Int 2018;57:694-7.
19. Kurokawa K, Mouri Y, Asano A, Kamei K, Iwata Y, Isogai M, et al. Pleomorphic carcinoma with osteoclastic giant cells of the breast: Immunohistochemical differentiation between coexisting neoplastic and reactive giant cells. Pathol Int 2018;59:91-7.
20. Caruso R, Palmeri R, Racchiusa S, Bonanno A, Lucianò R, Scardigno M, et al. Pleomorphic ductal carcinoma of the male breast: report of a rare case and review of literature. Anticancer Res 2011;31:3069-71.
21. Tacchini D, Mastrogiulio M, Vassallo L, Ginori A. Pleomorphic giant cell ductal carcinoma of the breast. Pathologoca 2011;103:68-70.
22. Tang H, Liu F, Li H, Huang X, Zhao T. Pleomorphic carcinoma of breast: a case report and review of literature. Int J Clin Exp Pathol 2014;7:5215-20.
23. Shousha S. Pleomorphic invasive ductal carcinoma of the breast in a patient with Huntington’s disease. Case Rep Pathol 2014;2014:979137
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.