Translation and Cross-Cultural Adaptation of the Persian Version of Minnesota Living With Heart Failure Questionnaire (MLHFQ)
The Minnesota Living with Heart Failure Questionnaire (MLHFQ) has been developed to measure health-related quality of life (HRQoL) status of Heart Failure (HF) patients. The aim of this study was to translate MLHFQ into the Persian version and assess the validity and reliability of the translated version. We used a forward-backward procedure for translation. In a cross-sectional study, 105 HF patients and 50 healthy subjects were selected to assess the reliability and construct validity of the instrument. The face and content validity were used to assess the questionnaire validity. Validity was examined on the HF patients group, using the Persian version of the Short form-36 health survey (SF-36) Questionnaire. In order to assess the questionnaire’s reliability, the Intraclass correlation coefficient (ICC) and Cronbach’s alpha were calculated. Test-retest reliability was examined by re-administering the MLHFQ after 2 weeks. Test-retest results demonstrated that the Persian version has excellent reliability (ICC for all 2 domains were higher than 0.91, P≤0.000). Internal consistency for Physical domain (PD), emotional domain (ED) and total scores using Cronbach’s alpha were 0.90, 0.84 and 0.92, respectively. ICC for PD, ED and total scores were 0.95, 0.94, and 0.97, respectively. Good and very good Pearson's Correlation Coefficient was seen between MLHFQ and SF-36 (r= -0.47 to -0.775, P≤0.000 for PD; r= -0.47 to -0.65, P≤0.000 for ED). The Persian version of the MLHFQ had satisfactory reliability and validity for assessing HRQoL status of Iranian HF patients.
2. Green C, all e. Development and evaluation ofthe Kansas City Cardiomyopathy Questionnaire: a new health status measurefor heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol 2000;35:1245-55.
3. Anguita S, all e. Prevalencia de la insuficiencia cardiaca en la poblacio´n general espan˜ola mayor de 45 an˜os. Rev Esp Cardiol 2008;61:1041-9.
4. Miani D, all e. The Kansas City Cardiomyopathy Questionnaire: Italian translation and validation. Ital Heart J 2003;4:620-6.
5. Arnold S, all e. Use of the Kansas City Cardiomyopathy Questionnaire for monitoring health status in patients with aortic stenosis. Circ Heart Fail 8002;6:61-7.
6. Dobre D, de Jongste M, Haaijer-Ruskamp F, Sanderman R, van Veldhuisen D, Ranchor A. The enigma of quality of life in patients with heart failure. Cardiology 2008;125:407-9.
7. Rossi G. Nomenclature and diagnostic criteria in cardiology set by the New York Heart Association.Considerationsonthe 6thedition. Cuore Circ 1967;51:287-93.
8. Demers C, McKelvie R, Negassa A, Yusuf S. Reliability, validity, and responsivenessof the six-minute walk test in patients with heart failure. Am Heart 8000;0682618-703.
9. Johansson P, Agnebrink M, Dahlstrom U, Brostrom A. Measurement of health-related quality of life in chronic heartfailure, from anursing perspective -a review of the literature. Eur J Cardiovasc Nursing 2004;3:7.
10. Lopez-Garcia E, Banegas J, Graciani Perez-Regadera A, Gutierrez-Fisac J, Alonso J, Rodriguez-Artalejo F. Valoresde referencia de la version espanola del Cuestionario deSalud SF- 26 en poblacion adulta mayor. Med Clin (Barc) 8002;120:568-73.
11. Gordon H. Measurement of Health-Related Quality of Lifein Heart Failure. J Am Coll Cardiol 1993;22:185-91.
12. Montazeri A, Goshtasebi A, Vahdaninia M, Gandek B. TheShort Form Health Survey (SF-26): translation and validation study of the Iranian version. Qual Life Res 8002;06:275-82.
13. Ware JE J, Show K, Kosisnki M, Gandek B. SF-36 HealthSurvey: manual and interprtation guide. Boston: New EnglandMedical Center 1993.
14. Rector T, Cohn J. Assessment of patient outcome with theMinnesota Living with Heart FailureQuestionnaire: reliabilityand validity during a randomised, double blind, placebocontrolledtrial of pimobendan. Am Heart J 1992;124:1017-25.
15. Rector T, Johnson G, Dunkman B, Daniels B, Farrell L, Smith B. Evaluation by patients with heart failure ofeffects of enalapril compared with hydralazine plus isosorbidedinitrate on quality of life. VHeFT II Circulation 0112;28:71-7.
16. Rector T, Kubo S, Cohn J. Validity of the MinnesotaLiving with Heart Failure Questionnaire as a measure oftherapeutic response to enalapril or placebo. Am J Cardiol0116;8020006-8.
17. Rector T, Kubo S, Conh J. Patients self-assessment oftheircongestive heart failure part 2: content, reliability andvalidity of a new measure, the Minnesota Living with HeartFailure Questionnaire. Heart Fail Rev1987;3:198-209.
18. Kubo S, Gollub S, Bourge R, Rahko P, Cobb F, Jessup M. Beneficial effects of pimobendan on exercise toleranceand quality of life in patients with heart failure.results of amulticenter trial. Circulation 0118;16:85-9.
19. Quittan M, Wiesinger G, Crevenna R, Nuhr M, Posch M, Hulsman M. Cross-cultural adaptation of the
MinnesotaLiving with Heart Failure Questionnaire for german-speakingpatients. J Rehabil Med 2001;182:33-6.
20. Garin O, Soriano N, Ribera A. Validation of the Spanish version of the Minnesota Living with Heart Failure Questionnaire. Rev Esp Cardiol 2008;251:61-9.
21. Heo S, Moser D, Riegel B, Hall L, Christman N. Testing the psychometric properties of the Minnesota Living with Heart Failure questionnaire. Nurs Res 2005;265:54-72.
22. Middel B, Bouma J, de Jongste M. Psychometric properties of the Minnesota Living with Heart Failure Questionnaire (MLHF-Q). Clin Rehabil 2001;15:489-500.
23. Ho C, Clochesy J, Madigan E, Liu C. Psychometric evaluation of the Chinese version of the Minnesota Living with Heart Failure Questionnaire. Nurs Res 8008;262661- 8.
24. Carvalho V, Guimarães G, Carrara D, Bacal F, Bocchi E. Validation of the Portuguese version of the Minnesota Living with Heart Failure Questionnaire. Arq Bras Cardiol 8001;12221-66.
25. Brokalaki H, Patelarou E, Giakoumidakis K, Kollia Z, Fotos N, Vivilaki V, et al. Translation and Validation of the Greek “Minnesota Living with Heart Failure” Questionnaire. Hellenic J Cardiol 8002; 2 26 9-10.
26. Saccomann I, Cintra F, Gallani M. Psychometric properties of the Minnesota Living with Heart Failure-Brazilian version-inthe elderly. Qual Life Res 2007;16:997-1005.