A Young Man Suspicious for Cushing's Syndrome With Coronavirus Disease-19 (COVID-19): A Case Report
Cushing's syndrome with Coronavirus Disease-19
The 2019 global Coronavirus syndrome pandemic (COVID-19) has entered more than two hundred countries around the world, involving <82 million persons and >1,800,000 deaths (until January, 1st 2021). We report on COVID-19 infection in the context of a Cushing's syndrome (CS) from Iran. A 36-year-old man with proximal myopathy, plethora, and striae with central obesity was evaluated for Cushing's syndrome. During the high dose dexamethasone test, the patient developed symptoms of cough, low-grade fever, and weakness then was admitted to the ICU with a diagnosis of COVID-19. Despite treatment according to national protocols for COVID-19, the patient unfortunately died. In this report, we intend to discuss the various aspects of Cushing's syndrome and severe COVID-19 infection.
2. Asghari A, Naseri M, Safari H, Saboory E, Parsamanesh N. The Novel Insight of SARS-CoV-2 Molecular Biology and Pathogenesis and Therapeutic Options. DNA Cell Biol 2020;39:1741-53.
3. Prescott HC, Rice TW. Corticosteroids in COVID-19 ARDS: evidence and hope during the pandemic. JAMA 2020;324:1292-5.
4. Parsamanesh N, Pezeshgi A, Hemmati M, Jameshorani M, Saboory E. Neurological manifestations of Coronavirus Infections: Role of Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme 2 in COVID-19. Int J Neurosci 2021;1-8.
5. Guarnotta V, Ferrigno R, Martino M, Barbot M, Isidori AM, Scaroni C, et al. Glucocorticoid excess and COVID-19 disease. Rev Endocr Metab Disord 2020:1-12.
6. Newell-Price J, Nieman LK, Reincke M, Tabarin A. Endocrinology in the time of COVID-19: Management of Cushing's syndrome. Eur J Endocrinol 2020;183:G1-7.
7. Beretta F, Dassie F, Parolin M, Boscari F, Barbot M, Busetto L, et al. Practical Considerations for the Management of Cushing's Disease and COVID-19: A Case Report. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne) 2020;11:554.
8. Cain DW, Cidlowski JA. Immune regulation by glucocorticoids. Nat Rev Immunol 2017;17:233-47.
9. Hasenmajer V, Sbardella E, Sciarra F, Minnetti M, Isidori AM, Venneri MA. The immune system in Cushing's syndrome. Trends Endocrinol Metab 2020;31:655-69.
10. Pivonello R, Ferrigno R, Isidori AM, Biller BM, Grossman AB, Colao A. COVID-19 and Cushing's syndrome: recommendations for a special population with endogenous glucocorticoid excess. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol 2020;8:654-6.
11. Singh Y, Kotwal N, Menon AS. Endocrine hypertension - Cushing's syndrome. Indian J Endocrinol Metab 2011;15:S313-6.
12. Colao A, De Block C, Gaztambide MS, Kumar S, Seufert J, Casanueva FF. Managing hyperglycemia in patients with Cushing's disease treated with pasireotide: medical expert recommendations. Pituitary 2014;17:180-6.
13. Mazziotti G, Gazzaruso C, Giustina A. Diabetes in Cushing syndrome: basic and clinical aspects. Trends Endocrinol Metab 2011;22:499-506.
14. Pivonello R, Ferrigno R, Isidori AM, Biller BMK, Grossman AB, Colao A. COVID-19 and Cushing's syndrome: recommendations for a special population with endogenous glucocorticoid excess. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol 2020;8:654-6.
15. Serban AL, Ferrante E, Carosi G, Indirli R, Arosio M, Mantovani G. COVID-19 in Cushing disease: experience of a single tertiary centre in Lombardy. J Endocrinological Investigation 2020.
|Issue||Vol 59, No 3 (2021)|
|Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Cushing's syndrome Immunosuppression|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|